What is the rTMS Intensive program?
At rTMS International we offer the possibility to undergo a full rTMS treatment within a short timeframe. During a period of two or more weeks the patient can receive one or two treatments daily. It is also possible to schedule a less intensive treatment, by extending the period up to six weeks.
Your stay in Rotterdam or Utrecht during the rTMS intensive program
rTMS International facilitates patients from outside the Netherlands with a comfortable stay in Rotterdam or Utrecht. It is possible to travel to Rotterdam Airport by Plane or to CS Rotterdam or Utrecht by train. For an additional fee it is also possible to pick you up from Schiphol Airport or Rotterdam The Hague Airport. Reservations at a hotel or Bed & Breakfast during your stay are at own expense and risk. Contact us for more information.
Proceeding the treatment after 20 sessions
After two weeks (20 sessions) we evaluate whether the treatment is effective or not. When it turns out successful, it is possible to continue. If not, it is possible to treat the depression or OCD with another protocol.
Session schedule of the rTMS intensive program
We advise to schedule the treatment sessions within the following timeframe:
- Two-week treatment once a day: 10 sessions
- Two-week treatment twice a day: 20 sessions
- Three-week treatment once a day: 15 sessions
- Three-week treatment twice a day: 30 sessions (recommended)
- Four-week treatment once a day: 20 sessions
- Four-week treatment twice a day: 40 sessions
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an Electroencephalogram (EEG)?
- An EEG is a method in which electrodes are placed on the head by means of a swimming cap to map your brain activity. Any deviations are noted by the EEC. The EEG is therefore used to determine if you have brain activity that could be dangerous to stimulate with magnetic brain stimulation. This is only the case with any epileptic activity. If the EEG shows that this is the case, a neurologist must first be consulted before treatment can be started.
To make a good EEG. use is made of conductive gel. After the EEG as much gel as possible is removed but a remainder will remain visible. Washing your hair at home once ensures that all the gel is gone.
- Do I need a referral from my doctor?
- rTMS international is a private practice. You therefore do not need a referral from your doctor for treatment at rTMS International.
- Is there a waiting list?
- You can always go to rTMS International for an introductory meeting within one week. Treatment can be started as soon as the EEG has been performed and there is no evidence of this.
- Why haven’t I heard of rTMS before?
- rTMs is a technique that was introduced in the late 1990s as a treatment for depression. Since then, scientific and clinical research has been conducted to determine the safety of the treatment and to investigate the most effective protocols. It has been established that rTMS is a safe method that, for a large proportion of clients, contributes to the reduction of depression and / or compulsive complaints. Various publications show that clients with the “therapy resistant” diagnosis responded positively to treatment with rTMS. rTMS has been approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) since 2008 and since 2017 a number of Dutch health insurance companies have reimbursed treatment under the supplementary insurance.
- Does rTMS treatment hurt?
- Does rTMS treatment hurt? Treatment with rTMS does not hurt and has few or no side effects. You sit in an easy chair and the coil that delivers the magnetic pulses is placed above your head. The magnetic pulses stimulate certain areas of the brain and decrease your depression and / or compulsive symptoms. Treatment with rTMS can cause mild tension headache after the end of treatment. This will go away on its own or after taking a painkiller
What disorders we treat
A life without depression or obsessive compulsive disorder with rTMS