Is your question not listed? Or do you want more information? Please contact us. We are happy to help you.
- What is an Electroencephalogram (EEG)?
- An EEG is a method in which electrodes are placed on the head by means of a swimming cap to map your brain activity. Any deviations are noted by the EEC. The EEG is therefore used to determine if you have brain activity that could be dangerous to stimulate with magnetic brain stimulation. This is only the case with any epileptic activity. If the EEG shows that this is the case, a neurologist must first be consulted before treatment can be started.
To make a good EEG. use is made of conductive gel. After the EEG as much gel as possible is removed but a remainder will remain visible. Washing your hair at home once ensures that all the gel is gone.
- Do I need a referral from my doctor?
- rTMS international is a private practice. You therefore do not need a referral from your doctor for treatment at rTMS International.
- Is there a waiting list?
- You can always go to rTMS International for an introductory meeting within one week. Treatment can be started as soon as the EEG has been performed and there is no evidence of this.
- Why haven’t I heard of rTMS before?
- rTMs is a technique that was introduced in the late 1990s as a treatment for depression. Since then, scientific and clinical research has been conducted to determine the safety of the treatment and to investigate the most effective protocols. It has been established that rTMS is a safe method that, for a large proportion of clients, contributes to the reduction of depression and / or compulsive complaints. Various publications show that clients with the “therapy resistant” diagnosis responded positively to treatment with rTMS. rTMS has been approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) since 2008 and since 2017 a number of Dutch health insurance companies have reimbursed treatment under the supplementary insurance.
- Does rTMS treatment hurt?
- Does rTMS treatment hurt? Treatment with rTMS does not hurt and has few or no side effects. You sit in an easy chair and the coil that delivers the magnetic pulses is placed above your head. The magnetic pulses stimulate certain areas of the brain and decrease your depression and / or compulsive symptoms. Treatment with rTMS can cause mild tension headache after the end of treatment. This will go away on its own or after taking a painkiller
- Is rTMS safe?
- rTMS is a safe and scientifically based treatment for depression and coercion. The treatment is applied briefly and intensively and supplemented with cognitive behavioral therapy for the best result. Magnetic pulses are delivered to the brain for twenty minutes and you are talking to one of our practitioners. The pulses cause certain parts of the brain to be stimulated or muted. This will improve communication between different brain areas and reduce the associated depressive symptoms. RTMS will never cause damage to your brain. The FDA in the US has rated rTMS as a safe therapy.
- What does an rTMS treatment cost?
- On average, 20 to 30 rTMS treatments are required for a lasting effect. The costs of rTMS treatment are quite different for this reason. For example, if you follow talk therapy at another institution / psychologist, the costs will be lower. We are happy to schedule an introductory meeting with you so that we can make a customized treatment for you.
- Is rTMS reimbursed?
- If you are additionally insured, rTMS is partially reimbursed if your health insurer has a contract with the NFG. Whether a treatment (with or without rTMS) is reimbursed under the supplementary insurance depends on your insurer. It is advisable to check this with your insurer beforehand. The differences between insurers are large: from a full reimbursement to no reimbursement.
- I use medication, can I start with rTMS?
- When your medication is used for your depression and / or compulsive disorder, treatment with rTMS can be applied and medication may be phased out. This will be examined in more detail based on your personal situation and treatment plan. This is done in consultation, if desired, with your prescribing doctor.
- I am a minor, am I eligible for rTMS treatment?
- Treatment with rTMS can be applied to minors under certain conditions. For more information, please call 010 206 7500 or send an email to email@example.com
- Who cannot get rTMS therapy?
- rTMS is not allowed if you have:
Vagus nerve stimulators
Metal in or around the head, including metal plates
Deep brain stimulation devices
Implantable cardioverter defibrillators
Implants controlled by physiological signals, including pacemakers